To often we hear horror stories of nails in terrible conditions; flaky, dry, peeling, cracked, and even …. infected!
Below we have listed our top tips to maintaining beautiful, healthy nails:
1) Always choose quality
Ever paid peanuts for a manicure and pedicure combo? Ever wondered why your nails are in such poor condition? The truth is, like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Nothing is more expensive than a cheap manicure!
Cheap prices are usually a reflection of the experience of the nail technician and quality of nail treatment – the cheaper your manicure, the less experience the nail technician is likely to have. The result is almost always the use of inferior products, improper application and removal of nail gel, questionable hygiene practices, and of course – nail damage.
Below are some warning signs that you might be in for a bad manicure:
- Overall salon appearance is dark, dirty and unkept
- Strong product smell or odour – they may be using harmful acrylics or solvents. Look to see if the staff are wearing masks, which could be another warning sign.
- They use a drill to remove product from your nail – Applying an electric drill to your nail surface is a bad idea … don’t you think?
- They are charging you less for a gel manicure than what they should be paying their staff in wages.
OUR TIP is simple – find a trained and qualified nail technician, pay a bit more, and get the manicure your nails deserve!
2) Cuticles are key
Your cuticles are the protector of all things nails. Although tiny, the cuticles act as a barrier that protects your nails from dirt and germs. Neglect your cuticles, and you are likely to experience a decline in your overall nail health.
3) Stop biting your nails. NOW!
Nail biting is one of those habits that can creep up on you. Whether you are stressed out at work or at home, nail biting can be one of those unconscious and unwanted habits we keep doing.
Did you know that biting your nails can have serious health consequences? some of the issues with chomping on your talons include:
- Spreading bacteria all over your nails, increasing the risk of infection
- Chronic nail biting leading to severe nail bed damage
- Bad breath (not a nail health issue, but had to throw this one in)
Never fear! If you are a biter, simply get in contact with a properly trained and qualified nail technician, who will be able to provide you with a treatment plan and support to transform your hacked nails into glorious talons.
4) Only purchase nail treatments from reputable brands
If you haven’t already read our article, “ARE YOU 5 FREE?”, then stop what you are doing and read, read, read! Not all nail treatment products are born equal. Some (usually cheap) nail treatments contain a cocktail of nasty ingredients that should be avoided. These include formaldehyde (a known carcinogen), Toluene (impacts the central nervous system) and DBP (impacts foetal development).
OUR TIP – only purchase nail treatment products from reputable brands that are “5 Free”.
5) Be kind to your nails
Always ensure your nails are well looked after and protected. If you are gardening or scrubbing dishes, then wear appropriate gloves to keep out dirt germs and moisture.
If you are unlucky enough to get an infection, DO NOT LEAVE IT! Check with your doctor to see whether further treatment is recommended.
Always keep a sharp eye for signs of nail infections, which include:
- Redness around the nail
- Irritated/itchy skin
- Puffy or swollen areas around the finger
Remember to treat your nails like you would any part of your body – with respect and care.